Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Little Boxes... full of Ticky Tacky


OK this one looks pretty battered and ready for the trash can...But the YSA would be lost without this little box...ask one of them why???? And is that a mouse without ears and whiskas ??? You tell me what you think it is!!!! then ask a YSA what they think it is????


This says "little box for my mum who I love"..OOOOOr..I love you too Chels and i LOVE this tin box that has been etched with hearts and little figures.



This is one of my favorite boxes. It came from the Falkland Islands for Christmas 2002 from Chelsea when her and Dave lived there for 4 years.


so did this one ..come from the Falkland Islands i mean..a cigar box that belonged to the Governor there..all painted up for me by Chels of course.




This one you have already seen on Chelsea's blog... It came from New Zealand and is made from Kauri Pine and the top is inlaid with paua shell (similar to abalone)...Yes that is "Hattie's Gold" in there still..it belongs there now ...never to be thrown out...a true treasure box.



These two came from Thailand ..both hand carved..i adore the tiny one.
My dear mum owned these two lead trinket boxes ..such treasures from the past.


Hand carved by a local artist ..the lid comes off to reveal different Tasmanian timbers..payment for a job.
Aboriginal Artists painted this in the Red Centre of Australia...collected by my dear friend Jan.
This one collected for me in Italyby Jan again...hand carved and inlaid with hand dyed timber....aaahh Venice and the canals.
Russia... my neighbor collected this handcarved handpainted beauty for me for Christmas one year.
You can see a few more(they are scattered all through the house) in this picture and they all have a story... So Georgia this post was because of you and your divine pottery box....thank you for the nostalgia.
"Auntie Georgia" is Chelsea's sister in law in USA...Check out her blog...Verbosity.... got me thinking about boxes when she posted a gorgeous pottery one she made....I have a collection of little boxes and these are just a few... and here they are..well just some anyway!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Annette, I love little boxes too. I don't have a collection of them though. Love yours. I think it's so nice when someone collects something and you can give them something to add to that collection. I have a box (just painted card) that Chelsea gave years ago-still one of my treasures that gets lugged all around the world. The ceramic one I made is 22 cm across the widest part. I had planned to put earings in it, but then my Remi gave me a gorgeous jewellery hanger (cast iron reindeer) for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...