Saturday, April 11, 2009

Only Taken Fouteen Years!!!!!

When we moved into this house (which by the way was not the house i really wanted but that is another story for another time) I said that this Italian style balustrade had to be the first thing to go....WELL here we are 14 years later and almost everything else in the house has been renovated, restored, replaced, removed or renewed...EXCEPT THIS ugly thing...BUT this week it went... and here is the king of deconstruction himself......wielding his axe
the top rail came off easily....one solid piece

into the back of the trusty ute and off to the Longford tip on Friday afternoon(did you know it is only a couple of dollars there for a full ute load)



They weren't bolted down to the concrete so they just came off without much effort...

Take a good look all you lovers of Italian architecture.... that is all your are getting.....because it is gone now...HOORAY!!!


This is what came to go in it's place...I am very conscious of the environment...recycle what and where i can....This is MODWOOD made from recycled plastic bags and milk bottles..... yep a little bit more expensive than treated pine but i don't have to sand it back and stain it every year and it wont warp, twist or fade in the sun... and with a 10 year guarantee ....so it is very labor intensive for us in our old age


Here is one end done...and the posts are of galvanised steel...solid as a rock....plus they are regulation height



Here is Dave and Kelv getting those lines level...the "MR Perfects"... they took this one off twice and realigned it



Us girls came out to check it out....

the last edge to be sawn off.....






Yeah ..FINALLY FINISHED ...it only took fourteen years....









5 comments:

  1. Very Nice Nettie. I think it looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your new balustrade material was shown in a segment on the last Better Homes show a few days ago. I thought then that it was a terrific idea. You have good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks very modern. Love it! I still haven't seen the kitchen reno. Any chance of a photo or two? By the way, well done guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think its so funny how the ONE THING you want gone never seems to go.... or takes a while!! when we moved into our house I said... 'the first thing I am going to do is paint that stupid blue door'..... but it never happened... still there today!!! I wonder if the new ppl will paint it!!
    Your new wall/fence thing lookd fantastic... i love it!

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...