The Christmas pudding recipe i use is from the Womens Weekly cook book from years ago.... now revisisted via my friend Jackie L ...thanks Jackie
Easy Christmas Pudding
1Kg mixed fruit (you can mix your own favorite mix...check Variations at end of recipe)
3 eggs
1 cup of dark brown sugar (if you like a light pudding use white or raw)
300 mls real cream (i use double cream)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 1/4 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon of bi carbonate of soda
Add 1/2 cup of your favorite nuts
METHOD
Beat eggs and sugar till creamy, add cream and fruit then all other sifted dry ingredients.... that is it!!!!!!
Now place the mixture into a baking or oven bag (this will do away with the messy pudding cloth)... for a large pudding serves at least 12 people....use all the mixture....(or halve and store in oven bag one uncooked mixture in freezer till later)
Leaving space for the mixture to expand tie off the bag then allow the mixture to rest in the dish for one hour before placing that steamer/ casserole dish inside crockpot.
Pour boiling water 3/4 up the side of the steamer or casserole dish (making sure you still have your ceramic/crockery insert dish in your crockpot...the water goes inside that)...place lid on crockpot and turn onto high for 2 hours then to low for 4 hours...turn off crock pot and allow pudding to stand for a couple of hours before serving ...this allows the pudding to firm up.
Now for the overnight method...(Assuming you go to bed late Christmas Eve cause you have to help Santa...hooo hummm...Maybe just before midnight) ...place boiling water in as above and turn onto low and leave all night till the morning around 7am..just turn off and leave to stand in crockpot and water till ready to serve for lunch.... it will firm and just be warm....(you will note your stove top is free as you can put the crockpot in another area...laundry maybe..... to do its thing)
Enjoy ...we did last night!!!!!
VARIATIONS
You might see in the pic below i used just dried fruits.... here in Australia we have a packet of dried fruits called Fruit Medley which has apple, apricot, pear, mango, sultanas etc.... so i used that plus currants(love currants) and dried cranberries for this mix....they dont like the mixed peel either so this way it gets left out.
If the family doesn't like cherries..use jubes(the lolly kind)...red and green for the Christmas pudding or those raspberry lollies.
Use any nut combination you like... Macadamia, almond, cashew. Pecan, Brazil...etc etc
Then lastly use any steamed pudding recipe(Grandma's Old Steamed Pud Recipe perhaps???) and use this same crockpot method.

the ingredients.... and the crockpot(mine is oval)
the mixture.....
My hull (USA) casserole dish that just fits perfectly in the crockpot and the baking oven bags...
The mixture all tied in the baking bag with room to expand..resting for an hour
cooked..... smells delicious...
holding its shaped after resting in the oval dish for a couple of hours ...ready to cut and serve with custard cream and ice cream...(i agree it is not good for the diet but that is only if you eat a huge slice ......after all it is just fruit...justification!!!!!!)
served just dusted with a icing sugar.....not much left after the dinner party last night....




Yum - that's sounds delicious! Will pass that on to my step-dad as he's our pudding cook! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteKylie via Lisa Kings blog!
Oh yay! A comment from my friend Kylie! :D
ReplyDeleteOh goody. We'll have Pud this year! I love how you made one as a sample! Any excuse. You can't get mixed dried fruit here (well, not that I've found) so I make my own when I make fruit cake-just chop up a whole bunch of stuff (what I do to make muesli too. I also ADORE currants. I don't really like raisins, so I always buy white raisins (sultanas). I love the idea of the oven bags too-I've never seen those before. I'll have to have a look out. Thanks Annette.
ReplyDeleteOh, how yum does that look! I am soooo not a cook, but I love the thought of having all these tried and tested recipes right at my fingertips for when I take the time to improve my talents in the kitchen! Besides, the photos are eye candy for the soul!
ReplyDeleteYipee!! Thanks for the recipe :) It was delicious....and thanks again for having us all over, we all had such a lovely time.
ReplyDelete