It was every man and his two dogs who came to see the spectical that the Gorge put on this last week... with 1000 cumecs or 1000 cubic metres per second...now i am told that a cumec is the size of a small family car...so as we stood there watching , we were watching the equivalent of 1000 small family cars pass under the bridge per second.. all that water rushing and roaring through to the Tamar river ....it sure was a magnificent sight and the bridge and the walks on either side of the Gorge were grounded ...we were some of that crowd...and considering that this is right in our city ...it truly was worth the look...


and i said there was everyman and his two dogs...these little guys really were great guard dogs for there masters motor bike while he went to check out the flood waters...

Down in one of the boat sheds on the Royal Yacht club i found these tide levels ...well this flood surpassed these levels...no new mark had been recorded as yet ...but the water had gone down.


and here she was all rugged up and checking it out...(today she went home after a 10 day stay with Nanna and Poppy...it is so quiet and i miss my stories Hattie...who will read to me now????)

Head through the rail watching those "1000 small family cars per second " rush under the bridge...



See the crowd standing on the point on the track to the right of the photo......


and here is the famous Cataract Gorge Bridge which is still in use... but has another modern bridge to help ease some of the traffic flow at peak times...

the water flowing down into the Tamar River and out to sea..the boats bobbing about on their moorings...

the Beauty and Majesty of the floodwaters

you can see the new bridge here... this was taken from the yacht club...

the wash and foam from the silt that has built up here near the boats at anchorage at the y
acht Club...but still flowing very fast..
Do they still have the scary wibbily wobbily suspension bridge? I was born and grew up in Launceston for a while and spent a lot of time at the gorge. I remember being TERRIFIED of that bridge! I was probably about Hatties age, and a bit older, and we'd walk across the bridge and Dad would ALWAYS make it shake as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteits amazing to hear everyone talking about the floods. Looks pretty cool. Change your comment about the people being to the left of the photo on the point... to the right of the photo.
ReplyDeleteHats misses you too. Its always very emotional coming back for her we have discovered. She has had lots of tears tonight (She just wants Darby and Bethan to love her and include her!!!) But I read her stories and she is playing with a torch one of the nurses gave Rosie...
WOW that's amazing! Lucky Sammy the seal wasn't around! he'd be on a white water trip of a lifetime!
ReplyDeleteWow you should frame some of those pics. They look amazing.
ReplyDeletewhoa that looks awesome. I wish I'd had the time to drive up and see it for myself. Everything looks so different. BTW I think Rory has reincarnated as a VERY annoying plover who squawks at 6am every morning!!! I have Buckley's of catching him so I guess, in a way, Rory lives on! at least I can't get fined for a noisy Plover. he he
ReplyDeletethese pics are amazing
ReplyDeleteand the walk through the bird sactuary is wonderful
love ya heaps
xxxBron