Sunday, September 6, 2009

Wendy's Quilt is Finished




the last of the stitching with those gnarled old arthritic hands..... on what you ask??????






Wait don't scroll down yet!!!! read the story of the Quilt......




this is how it started...






Wendy, ... http://sicefamily.blogspot.com/ ....my niece in Western Australia decided to do a series of pen drawings of her favorites from "Alice in Wonderland'...she has a card series on Etsy too so go look ..just follow the links from her blog (address above)...featuring Alice in Wonderland too... i saw this vision in my head of a quilt or wall hanging with those drawings on it...so i begged and pleaded for her to send them to me.... and let me use them and my imagination....


this is what happened...






The drawings came slowly..(hhmmm Wendy) via Australia Post.........




they were re -sized on the computer by my man (thank you honey)to all the same size... 12 of them in all...just enough....




they were transferred onto material via an iron on process




the boarders and block colours were chosen from Spotlight....




the cutting was frenzied....




the sewing was a whirl....




then I cut some more and sewed some more...(not a pattern in sight )




finally all the blocks were all together...WOW it was looking good!!!






Next stop.... the Quilter...... to be machine quilted...so much easier and neater....


(see the picture of the machine quilter Leanne from Esme's ...further down...WAIT not yet though .......)




the chosen quilting design.....a three(opps!!! thanks Debbie) leaf clover ...(I am sure that rascally rabbit ate four leaf clovers!!!!!)


Now you can look...
go slowly mind.....




the drawings ready to go on to the materials



















the material and the frenzy had started!!!! All on the dining table of course ..right where i could get up and leave and go back to it every spare minute....









the blocks ready......














Wow it is all together.......(I am loving the contrast of colours.....)












At the quilters being quilted by Leanne.....(that's Leanne below...thanks Leanne for letting me invade your space to take the pics...)














Leanne's magic quilting machine....





ready to be bound....by hand of course....(hence the pic of the old gnarled hands i started with.)





ALL FINISHED and ready for Australia Post ...LOOK OUT WENDY IT'S ON ITS WAY THIS WEEK... WITH ALL MY LOVE...


ENJOY ...Finally....The visualization of your childhood memories through my imagination in material.... (I hope it lives up to your expectations)














13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. It turned out great. Ummm that four leaf clover only looks like a three leaf clover to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!!! wish i could quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! How spectacular!! I am gobsmacked, and feeling very loved. Thank you sooo much, I cannot WAIT to see it for real!
    Wendy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea! It looks so cool, great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing us the quilt and the process. Nice choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic collaboration! Fantastic drawings and wonderful idea of turning them into a quilt. Wish I knew of a machine quilting place anywhere around here. I do it myself on my machine (straight lines only) and it's SO HARD!! And it ruins my machine. I did try and hand quilt once, but not particularly successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely beautiful, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt you have made! It is great to see all the pictures of the process's that it has taken to get it to where it looks so good.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is what I call talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt turned our beautiful Annette, I really enjoyed quilting it. Have you seen the look on your niece's face yet when she opened it. I bet it was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been playing blog catchup tonight and so enjoyed catching up on YOUR blog. I love the quilt...sure wish I had a little more time to do some "extra-curricular" activities...someday.

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...