Thursday, June 28, 2012

YOU ARE A LEGEND KEL...

Yesterday I attended a light luncheon at JMG ..Consulting Engineers Office in Elizabeth Street in honor of "Himself" and his RETIREMENT....
HE WAS RETIRING at last...long past the regular.... (i doubt very much he will be cutting himself completely off from his collegues at the office though!!!!) I had definite affirmation they will be calling him on a regular basis for consultations ...
You see I AM SURE  he has a computer instead of a human brain ... he has been working in the field of  Consulting Engineering all his working years and yesterday I heard things about his pioneering inginuity that I never knew and I was so proud to be there and to hear them..
things like he was part of the TAFE program here in the north to pilot the teaching of the Auto Cad computer program in the north..
he brought his office into the computer age from drawing plans on paper with pens to completely computerising the drawing office (he still has his original 'TEE SQUARE" he used when he first started work over 50 years ago..that is when they used to draw a whole set of plans by hand with an ink pen.....
he was an amazing mentor ..not only for the company he worked for but for other people in drawing offices and companies within Tasmania...
His old boss Dale whose family we have known for a lot of years gave praise and admiration for his office etiquite, his mentoring of fledgling draftspersons, his work ethics and dedication to his company....he talked about how he was very much respected by his colleges and his clients alike and was sort after for advice and assistance which was willingly and freely given ....(no holding back even for rival companies in the business)
He received many Thank You's from present and past co workers and collegues who had been on the receiving end of Kels expertise and knowledge so freely shared
The place is not going to be the same
you will come back and see us now and then
we will be able to call you for advice wont we
who will know where to find those old Dale Luck files now that you wont be here????We will have to set up a direct line so we can consult with you...
so many more accalades of appreciation, respect, admiration and heart felt thanks mixed with well wishes for his (and my ) retirement

His boss Ron opened his speed with...
"YOU ARE A LEGEND KEL...."





of course the gorgeous secretaries could not resist decorating the table with his beloved Tigers balloons along with the Retirement Balloon ....

the pressies (thank goodness it wasn't a  gold watch)..."Himself" is the best "Gadget Man" collector i know and can't resist a good watch buy when he checks out Daily Deals on his computer....
Instead he recieved a fantastic  hand held torch that  he has been checking out regularly on the internet shopping which has a 400metre adjustable beam reach...and a quirky head torch for climbing in roofs or just having hands free light, a golf voucher and piles of his favorite food ..yep!..chocolates. 

expressing his working life of over 55 years .... in a few short minutes


His old boss and friend Dale..

The new boss who tried to encourage him to stay on.....


Judi the secretary..she will miss the old boy..(mmm divorce evidence here Judi)


Annette No2 the secretary...who will miss him too...Who will un-jam the photocopier now Annette???

Now it will be Off to the Golf course instead of work for "Himself" (sometimes me too for the exercise)...gardening, riding our bikes, visiting and having our grand children to stay.....{ I was told that "Himself" might watch the Midday Movie most days and eat his lunch while he was doing it...mmmm}and lots of holidays...

Sounds good to me!!!! How about You ...you Legend YOU????

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to Kel! How nice that would have been to hear all the great things about your husband. I bet he will be just as busy if not busier in retirement. Hope to see you Tuesday for the catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bitter-sweet moment to share and enjoy with friends...
    As much as I miss the office-departing guys and gals I like to watch them go full of new projects and illusions.
    I hope the same aplies to Himself.
    Wishing the best for Kel!!! And keep him away from the kitchen, Nettie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Kel! Wonderful to be recognised in the work place today.. Now you can put your feet up and relax.. But .... I.was enjoying reading the blog... Then I saw it Tigers dish... and then it went down hill...LOL..:))

    The very best to you both on your adventures in life together :))

    Great to have met you today Nettie..:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Kelv is actually retiring! Are you sure you're going to be able to keep him away from work Nettie? ;-)
    I hope you guys enjoy the extra time together and enjoy the extra freedom. Much love to you both. xx

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...