Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bottling Cherries...

How I love this time of the year...all the fresh fruit around and this year in abundance....my neighbors brought me over a 5 kg box of the most scrumptious cherries..we ate and ate and still managed to get 8 bottles to put in to the pantry for when the fruit is not around...(yes stalks and pips and all into the bottle .. flavour like you would not believe and the stalk allows you to eat with unstained hands)


 very juicy black heart cherries.... look out for the hand made signs by the gates of the farms when you are driving in the countryside as all the growers have a huge abundance and they are cheaper than the supermarkets ..worth driving out to Spreyton, near Devonport  for a 5 kg box for $30 I reckon..
I have already bottled 8 bottles and made jam with the last lot i picked out Lilydale way...bring on the harvest!!!!

 and I just love the box lid...Tasmanian Grown...even better...
what have you been doing with all your fruit this year?....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nettie, great savings there and warm thoughts on a winters night. :)
    Our fruit has been a huge let down this year . only Logan berries in the freezer, thankfully still have bottled peached and cherries from last year :)) Hopefully the runner beans and toms will produce more for us :))
    Happy Holiday weekend :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter here, remember?!?!
    But I'm dreaming in having more fruits - last year was the first time I had real fruit on my trees - so I'm really wishing to do some jams, chutneys, marmalades and what not... At lest that's why I'm storing "ALLL THOSE JARDS" as hubby likes to say ahahahah

    No so many but since he can't understand I'll need much more :she says hopefully: ;) he is fretting with me keeping every and each of them.

    Stopping by to leave you my war hug. Hoping you're ok. And I already put you in my prayer/healing list. You'll need that because those hurts can be, sometimes, worse than a broken foot. More space and time to put the wrong foot (pun intended ahahahah).

    Take Care, Dear Lady! I wish you were closer so I could stop by and relieve you from the hotdogs and take some cooking... and enjoy those cherries (nothing comes free anymore ahahahahah)

    Please, please, take it easy!

    Yours,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...