Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Tasmania...Franklin House

This gorgeous period house was saved from demolition in 1960 and is close to home for me.... if fact it is just around the corner only 10 minutes walk from my house. When i walk Beattie we go right past it.
Frankilin House was built by a team of convicts from clay they made into bricks from the site....under the direction of a former convict Britton Jones....The gardens are beautifully maintained and are regularly used for weddings ...... It was the last stage coach stop before the Town of Launceston which was 4 miles from it doorstep. It was used as a school house for boys during the week and on Saturdays...(school was 6 days a week then)
This house has a happy ending unlike all of the others posted on my blog.... it is open to the public and has been lovingly restored, decorated and furnished to that exact period...totally worth a visit if you are in Launceston.....that is why i am not taking you inside......but if you look at the last picture you will get a taste of what the inside has to offer.....


















3 comments:

  1. unfortunately I can't see myself in Lonnie (my birthplace) any time soon. I do love going to old restored houses though. We went to Mark Twain's house here and it was amazing. Something I'd love to do more of. Even when we were in Europe, I find it fascinating going to the palaces. Then again I love going to IKEA and seeing all those "rooms" so maybe I'm just a sticky beak for how people live...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for Georgian style architecture and sculptured hedges. The second photo - be still my beating heart! We will HAVE to visit this place on our next Tassie trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great-great grandmother worked there as a parlour maid.
    Love Lorraine.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

let's hear it...